Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Weekend In Valencia

So we thought it would be a good idea to go out on Thursday night and just save sleep for the train ride to Valencia (it wasn't). The cheap train took 7 hours, stopped a lot, and was very rickety. My friend Mel had forgotten to print off her tickets for the train though, so she ended up having to find her own way to Valencia by herself! She's fluent in Spanish though and actually arrived in Valencia at the same time we did because she took the faster train. We walked around until nighttime and decided we were too tired to go out. The next day, we went to La Ciudad de Artes y Ciencias which is a huge museum with a lot of different exhibits...we chose the Oceanographic museum which is the largest aquarium in Europe. We spent a couple hours there looking around and watched the dolphin show. Most of it was outside which was great since it was about 60 degrees and sunny! After the museum we went to the beach...which was what I was waiting for the whole weekend. It was beautiful...and my first sight of the Mediterranean Sea! It wasn't crowded at all (because 60 degrees is cold for Spaniards) so we just sat around, had lunch, and enjoyed it. I'll be posting pictures soon...I liked Valencia a lot but it was a lot like Madrid (besides the beach). I still think Madrid is my favorite city thus far. This weekend is Carnaval which is a Mardi Gras-esque holiday here. People dress up and party the whole weekend. So we're staying in Toledo this weekend but next weekend is Lisbon! I'll be updating more later.

No comments:

Post a Comment